Arts and Entertainment Questions and Answers 2007
1. In the Geico Caveman commercial set at the airport, a remix of the song “Remind Me” plays in the background. Name the band whose song is used.
2. Name the Five (5) Brat Pack actors who appeared in the John Hughes film “The Breakfast Club” (last names only OK).
Emilio Estevez, Molly Ringwald, Judd Nelson, Ally Sheedy and Anthony Michael Hall
3. Name the actress who portrayed Jill Green, the younger sister of Rachel Green, in several episodes of the sitcom Friends.
4. Name the band and the title of their Disco song hit that the Sugar Hill Gang sampled for their pioneering rap song “Rapper’s Delight”.
Chic, “Good Times”
5. Name the sneaky fox character in the animated series Dora the Explorer.
Madison Square Garden
7. In the cartoon “Alvin and the Chipmunks,” name the three Chippettes.
Brittany, Eleanor and Jeanette
8. Name the celebrity winner of season four of ABC’s Dancing with the Stars, which concluded in May.
Apolo Anton Ohno
11. In the film series “The Mighty Ducks,” what is the name of the coach character played by Emilio Estevez?
12. In the TV series ALF, what is ALF’s real name?
13. In the anime and video game series Pokemon, what Pokemon is traditionally listed as number one in the Pokedex?
14. Earlier this month the Musee D’Orsay found one of its prized paintings, “Le Pont d’Argenteuil,” vandalized. Name the painter of this work.
15. The Wachowski brothers of The Matrix fame are directing a live-action film version of the cartoon classic Speed Racer for 2008. What is the name of the actor tapped to play Speed?
16. Padma Lakshmi, the host of Bravo’s Top Chef, recently split from her husband. What is his name?
18. According to the lyrics of the famous Australian song Waltzing Matilda, what is the jolly swagman camping by?
19. Who is Mario Armando Lavandeira better known as?
20. What does the website TMZ’s acronym stand for?
1. Name the best-selling book by Khaled Hosseini that has been made into a movie?
The Kite Runner
2. This author of the acclaimed and popular book, “A Wrinkle in Time,” passed away in September. Name her.
3. In the Harry Potter book series, what is the two-word incantation that wizards utter to conjure their innermost positive emotions and protect them against Dementors?
4. What California University is home to the Bulwer-Lytton fiction-writing contest, which challenges contestants to create the worst opening line for a novel?
San Jose State University
5. In the environmental parable “The Lorax” by Dr. Seuss, what is the name of the character that chopped down all the truffula trees?
6. In the book series “His Dark Materials” by Phillip Pullman, what’s the name of the compass-like instrument that is given to protagonist Lyra Belacqua?
7. What important American novel is central to the plot of the musical “The King and I”?
Uncle Tom’s Cabin
8. Who is author and artist Dick Bruna’s most famous creation?
Miffy the Rabbit. Miffy okay.
9. What is the name of the family featured in the novel Old Yeller, as well as the classic Disney film of the same name?
The Coates family
10. What’s the name of the fictional Prince Edward Island community in the novel “Anne of Green Gables” by Lucy Maud Montgomery?
11. In 1972, paleontologists Niles Eldredge and the late Stephen Jay Gould proposed that evolution happened in fits and starts – that is, species may undergo periods of rapid changes, followed by long relatively quiet periods. What is the phrase the pair coined for this?
12. What is the geologic term for the process of one large tectonic plate being driven underneath another one?
13. What two geologic time periods does the K-T Boundary separate?
The Cretaceous and the Tertiary
14. What does the acronym and word SCUBA stand for?
Self-contained underwater breathing apparatus
15. What is the name for the 4,000-kilometer long canyon that cuts across the surface of Mars along its equator?
16. What animal phylum includes jellyfish and sea anemones?
Cnidaria (Cnidarium okay)
17. What is the name of the three-volume book by Isaac Newton that published his three laws of motion?
Philosophiæ Naturalis Principia Mathematica (Principia Mathematica acceptable)
18. What is the chemical symbol for the element copper?
19. What is the proper name of the symbol of the snake-entwined staff associated with the medical field?
Rod of Asclepius
20. In a 2004 British poll to determine the public’s favorite television scientist, this Muppet Show character came out on top. His assistant is Beaker. Who is he?
Dr. Bunsen Honeydew