Think you’re a trivia wiz? Test your trivia knowledge with last year’s Trivia Bowl questions:
Round One: Current Events 2007
1. This troubled pop star recently lost custody of her kids to her ex-husband. Name her and her ex.
Britney Spears and Kevin Federline
2. The troubled pop star’s ex-husband has been shooting episodes of the CW series One Tree Hill. In which city does One Tree Hill film?
3. How many days did hotel heiress Paris Hilton actually serve in jail this year for violating probation in an alcohol-related driving offense?
4. This young actress, famous for her party going, just returned to LA from a two-month stint in Utah for rehab. Name her.
5. This major freeway was shut down for days earlier this month following a fiery crash inside a tunnel. Name it.
6. Last month, what Southeast Asian country saw massive pro-democracy protests by Buddhist monks?
Myanmar or Burma
7. Columbia University found itself at the center of controversy last month when the president of Iran gave a speech there. Who is the current president of Iran?
8. Q: What is the name the dog that Ellen DeGeneres adopted from Mutts & Moms that has become the object of scandal?
9. On January 1 of this year, this man succeeded Kofi Annan as United Nations Secretary General. What is his name?
Ban Ki-Moon. Ban acceptable. Ki-Moon acceptable
10. Earlier this week, Rapper T.I. was arrested shortly before the BET Music Awards. What is T.I.’s real name?
Clifford Harris Jr.
11. What long-running comic strip recently had a storyline where a main character loses a battle with breast cancer?
12. A suicide bombing this week killed at least 124 people in Karachi, Pakistan, near the motorcade for that nation’s former prime minister, who returned after years in exile. Name her.
13. What is the name of President Bush’s nominee for attorney general?
19. In what city’s airport bathroom was Idaho Senator Larry Craig arrested for disorderly conduct?
Minneapolis (Minneapolis-St. Paul also acceptable)
1. What was the original name of the Manhattan skyscraper now called the Met Life Building?
The Pan Am Building
2. This hospital in Sylmar, California received major damage in the 1971 Sylmar Earthquake. Name it.
Olive View Medical Center
3. What two rivers converge outside Portland, Oregon?
The Columbia and the Willamette rivers
4. In South Philadelphia, at the intersection of 9th Street and Passyunk Avenue, two famous Philly cheesesteak restaurants lie directly across from each other. Both claim to have made the original sandwich. Name these two restaurants.
Geno’s Steaks and Pat’s King of Steaks.
5. What five-word phrase is on the back of the famous diamond-shaped sign that welcomes you to fabulous Las Vegas?
Drive Carefully. Come back soon.
6. There are four presidents carved into Mount Rushmore in South Dakota. Name the two presidents on each end of the sculpture.
George Washington and Abraham Lincoln
7. Name the Roman Catholic basilica that sits atop Montmarte, the highest point in the city of Paris.
8. In the lyrics for the 1992 hit song “I’m Too Sexy” by Right Said Fred, what three fashion-centric cities does the singer say he is too sexy for?
Milan, New York and Japan
9. The Minnesota town of Bemidji, Minnesota is home to a large statue of what American folk hero?
10. What are the month, date and year that Elvis Presley died in?
Aug. 16, 1977.
11. What city and state was Elvis Presley born in?
12. Of the four US cities that have zoos featuring giant pandas, which city’s zoo has yet to have a panda birth?
13. Name the volcanic island that rose out of the ocean just off the coast of Iceland in the 1960s.
14. Name the four states that share a border with Kansas
Colorado, Missouri, Oklahoma and Nebraska
15. What is the famous 1918 upside-down plane U.S. Postage Stamp best known as?
The Inverted Jenny. (Jenny Invert okay)
16. On what line of latitude is the dividing border between the two Koreas?
The 38th parallel north or 38 degrees north. North not needed
17. Three countries are on the island of Borneo. Name all three.
Indonesia, Malaysia and Brunei
18. What city did His Imperial Majesty Emperor Norton I live in during the 19th Century?
19. What is the name of the Southern California dam that catastrophically failed in 1928, whose floodwaters killed hundreds of people?
The St. Francis Dam
20. This long African lake is bordered by Tanzania, Congo, Burundi and Zambia, and is the second deepest in the world after Lake Baikal in Russia.