The Los Angeles Daily News and the Los Angeles Chapter of the Asian American Journalists Association are helping to shape the next generation of journalists by offering a 2008 summer internship to a student. We are seeking talented, ambitious students who want to make a difference. Application deadline is May 16. Students can apply for one of the following positions:
- Metro/community news reporting – Story assignments will depend on the intern’s ability and development. He/she will work directly with editors at our Woodland Hills office or bureaus. Shifts are flexible and may include some nights and weekends.
- Online – Intern will assist in creating and posting stories, photos and multimedia packages for dailynews.com and sister Web sites. Shifts are flexible and will include nights and weekends.
- Sports – Intern will get a taste of all aspects of the sports department, from covering events and writing stories to copy editing and designing pages. Shifts are flexible and will include nights and weekends.
- Photography – Intern will cover news and sports events and shoot feature photos. In addition, he/she will learn about digital photography and pre-pressing photos. Shifts are flexible and will include nights and weekends.
- Layout/Copy desk – Intern will copy-edit stories and write headlines and captions. He/she will design pages and paginate on deadline and post to the Web. Days are flexible, hours range from 3 to 11 p.m.
- The 10-week program begins in June and requires an intern to work 12 to 16 hours per week.
- Students must be an AAJA member and show a demonstrated interest in online and print journalism.
- Qualified students will be tested, interviewed and selected by Daily News editors and AAJA-LA representatives.
- Pay: The successful applicant will be awarded a stipend of up to $1,000 sponsored by AAJA-LA
- Include a cover letter and resume detailing what position interests you and why. Apply via e-mail or regular mail. Cover letter must state that you are applying for the AAJA-LA summer internship.
- Include a list of three references.
- Reporter applicants should submit no more than eight writing samples.
- Layout/copy desk applicants should submit no more than eight page designs (digital files or hard copies) and/or headline examples.
- Photography applicants should submit a portfolio (digital preferred) of no more than 10 photos and one photo story.
- Online applicants can submit live links to past work.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: MAY 16, 2008
Los Angeles Daily News
PO Box 4200
Woodland Hills, CA 91365
Please indicate that you are seeking the AAJA-LA summer internship on the envelope or in the subject line or the e-mail.